Sunday, March 22, 2015

PRE-READING FOR DYSTOPIC NOVELS

1. We have been looking at and reading short stories and novels about worlds that are seen as Utopian (to at least someone in the novel).  Write a blog post about your perfect Utopian society.


It's sometimes hard to imagine a perfect world where everything that we ever wanted in life exists. A place where we never find ourselves dissatisfied with where or who we are. A world where life is truly perfect and we can never feel pain or sadness. It's hard because the world we live in is so far away from our perfect utopia. But even though it's tough to imagine it can still sometimes be a little fun to flirt the idea that such a perfect world exists even if it is truly impossible. 

So the question is "What is my perfect utopia?".  

I think my idea of a perfect world would be a society where everyone had a small town mentality. A small town where everyone knows everyone else's name and business. But it would all be fine because when it came down to it you knew that if you ever needed anything there would a swarm of people there in a matter of seconds. You never have to wonder whether you are loved or accepted.  You all have your part and you do it for each other not because you need to, but because you want to.  The people in the town would not be exactly the same, but they would have the same morals and principles to guide themselves and each other.  You wouldn't have to have the traditional law enforcement or rules because everyone knew the right thing to do on their own. 

Now I know it may seem like I'm describing The Amish, but I promise I'm not. I believe in more of the Mayberry scene. The idea of leading a simple life and still being completely satisfied. Just having a great family value not just within your home, but with everyone. I think this would be the key to my happiness. Happiness in it's simple and beautiful form. I think I must have been born in the wrong time period. I think that maybe what I described was how life used to be. Before all the new technology and ideas. And those new things in and of themselves aren't bad, but like everything else have been perverted. I think my perfect utopia is a place where everyone could just press the pause button and be able to experience the new and great things without having the time to taint them. 

Even though our perfect world can never really come true I think that we all deserve at least a taste of our own utopia at some point in our lives.





1 comment:

  1. There does seem to be something valuable about the times from the past. When my grandmother would talk about the time of the Great Depression, she made everything seem so simple, and not as "horrible" as we might think. Grade: 25/25

    ReplyDelete